Saturday 28 February 2009

Pancakes For Pagans

After watching cats riding on wooden horses (and a list of other acts), Turkish and I headed to Vasilyevsky Spusk. Tomorrow is the last day of Maslenitsa but we won't be in town so we thought it was best we got our hands on the blinis.

When we were here on Monday, we weren't too lucky.

It was indeed crowded, hundreds of young and old gathered inside the fenced up area. The loudspeakers were blasting folk music and the emcee was deafening. She was trying to make the festival as festive as she could, I suppose. I enjoyed our hot Medovukha (Russian honey mead) and eating blinis with the St.Basil's Cathedral as background added extra flavour LOL

The way Russian folks partied back then ;)

A perverted Maslenitsa man who grabbed
my waist and made this weird-looking sign LOL

Oooohhh.. I could drown myself with Medovukha

It's a shame that everything is government-controlled in this city, if not the entire country. Every beverage and food.. event souvenir items. I was disappointed to see the stalls, even though decorated differently.. it was freaking obvious that there's only a sole distributor. Even the prices are fixed.

And the prices aren't cheap for a traditional practice.

So let's say if I could make damn delicious pancakes and decide to sell them cheap, I don't think they will allow me to operate, you know what I mean. They might force me to take on their pre-processed flour and guard a stall :P Yeahhh, I wasn't too happy with this bit. Where is the word - variety?

The blini boy preparing his sales

Even Teremok is here.. wtf!
(Teremok is like McDonald's for pancakes)

I got a souvenir :)

We came, we saw, we ate, we stood around and left.
And soon, winter will leave too. We shall welcome spring in no time!

Don't worry, Strawman..
We ain't gonna burn you LOL

4 comments:

richard said...

I bet you really had a great time....Thanks you for visiting my blog and I have a tag for you and hope you like it...

Keep on smiling....

ZhiHao Chua said...

Medovukha is nice! ehehe
long time no drink

Kev said...

Wow...What a fair! Nice pictures.

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Yupe, yupe. We had quite a good time there despite the cold! :)