Sunday 15 February 2009

Sunday Mass

Today's the 2nd day of heavy snowfall, I'm still excited about it.

Turkish and I brave the blinding ice particles (wind was constantly blowing in our direction) to visit the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Malaya Gruzinskaya St.! We had postponed this trip for too long. We were supposed to move into the studio apartment close to it.

I couldn't get a good pic of it really.. this is it

Its gothic design is as good as any in the West Europe. I like the red bricks and black roofs. Not as pricky-looking as the Hungarian or Czech architecture. This cathedral is pretty modest; its interiors and courtyard are simple yet you'd feel the grandeur of this holy place.

Jesus on the cross, in the lobby

We sat through less than 10mins..
I believe we received some prayers ;)

Hope these 2 men's prayers are answered..
But only if they wish for the good LOL

There were many foreigners who came for the mass, while families and their children built snow castles in the open. They were damn cute, all wrapped up like kebabs. We had a good time throwing snowballs at each other, but Turkish had the upper hands, or rather warmer hands because I left my gloves at home!! LOL

I was attracted to this knob
(on the main door of the cathedral)


We couldn't figure out if it was a snowman or not

One of the very few statues around the courtyard

Mini-kebabs I told you about

Child labour!! Just kiddin' ;)

I was trying to make a snow angel LOL

Not very successful :P

I wished we could return to visit it in spring or summer, without all the snow. I'm sure it'll be just as lovely. We enjoyed the warm atmosphere in the sense with the presence of children and their spades, playing on the white layers of thick snow :)

Here's one place crossed off our list of sight-seeing!

3 comments:

Kuching Remisier Blog said...

waa snow so nice.. and the church look so beautiful~

Anonymous said...

eh, this church is definitely not on those travelbooks

nv tot moscow has such catholic church.

summer shud look nice

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Yeahhh, it's really nice.

Moscow has 3 Catholic churches (or so I read). This one was built by the Polish community. Long history it has, quite interesting too :)