Wednesday 3 December 2008

The Word

I love photography. I enjoy taking pictures at almost every occasion, and at every chance I can especially if I like the event, surroundings etc. Sometimes for no reason at all. I like being the subject behind the lens. I was photographed since I knew how to focus and smile.

But I detest the label, "camwhore".

I don't like the word nor the sound of it.

I don't like calling someone by this name.

And I don't appreciate if someone calls me one.

Even very simply, jokingly or without ill intentions

...

It's not very nice.

I've seen people hop around, saying "OooOoooohhh.. you dunno I'm a cam whore issit" while waving their cameras in my face or call each other "He/She's a cam whore what".

I mean, does anyone really look into the origin of a nickname?

According to Wikipedia, this word means:

"A cam whore (sometimes cam-whore or cam-slut) is an individual who exposes himself or herself on the Internet with webcam software in exchange for goods, usually by encouraging viewers to purchase items on their wish lists or add to their online accounts. While the label is usually considered derogatory and insulting, it is also used by these people to describe themselves, occasionally in a self-deprecating manner.

The term "cam whore" is also used to refer to individuals who post pictures or videos of themselves on the Internet to gain attention. The term disparages those who post pictures of themselves at inappropriate times or places, and usually implies self-absorption. This second usage of the term, deriding vanity and histrionics, is overtaking the prior, more intuitive definition. It is usually synonymous with "attention whore".

The term camwhore was first used in print as early as November 2001, but may have originated in Australia as early as 1999.

Some insight into the world of underage cam whores was provided by a major article in the New York Times. It described the story of Justin Berry, a thirteen-year old boy who, after hooking up his webcam and listing himself on an online forum in order to make friends, was propositioned by older men to strip and masturbate on camera.

CNN referred to him as "in the language of cyberspace... a cam-whore".

He eventually started his own paysite, was molested for money, sold video recordings of his encounters with Mexican prostitutes, and helped hire other underage models. He made several hundred thousand dollars over five years. In the end he turned all information over to prosecutors in exchange for immunity."

Still want to go around calling yourself or others a cam whore?

Some people snap like 1001 pictures in ONE sitting with different expressions and then, post them all online. Undeniably, that's a nutcase. Why would anyone want to see you smile, frown, laugh, pout, whatever expression or pose you can strike one after another?

It's totally fine (in my opinion) snapping 1001 pictures with your friends, family, whoever when you're having a good time with and then share some of these pictures with everyone. Like the norm nowadays, upload them to public albums and the likes. Keyword : share some of these pictures.

But even if you feel the need to irritate others by posting fancy faces 1001, no one should be calling you a cam whore. Don't take it as a compliment or laugh about it. The last thing you should feel is some self-satisfaction as though the title is so glamorous.

It is absolutely not.

I guess, people aren't sensitive about this term as much as I do. To most, it's just like every other word- pig, bitch, slut, idiot, piece of shit, asshole and the list goes on.

Like whatever (this is also another word which I dislike).

Bah! At the end of the day, it prolly just boils down to the face of the person in the picture. If he/she is liked, I'm sure every picture taken is nice and pretty (ooohh.. post more, post more!). If he/she is disliked, pray they never take pictures again LOL

My apologies for those who are affectionate to this term.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

words can mean differently depending on its context .
some girls even call their besties 'bitch' which i guess is that they each had gone pass the level that respecting n affection is no longer reflected by words, but more than that.

anyway, ur blog , ur privacy..juz ignore others.

wa..i getting so long winded nowadays..

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

I know what you mean.

I think it's appropriate anyways. My best friend and I were rofl, when her collegemate pranced up and said:

"Happy birthday, bitch!".

We were like.. okay... wanna be cool also, no need until this extent right LOL I'm not sure what to make of it.