Friday 17 October 2008

I Support


Of late, Turkish and I have been following closely on America's election rallies. We watched 2/3 of the Presidential Debates, and after the last, we support Barack Obama now more than ever. He has supportive policies to the working class (remember I am going to Hollywood LOL) which would be good for me in near future.

It'll be like "Gold Rush" of the 21st century:

“The time to fix our broken immigration system is now… We need stronger enforcement on the border and at the workplace… But for reform to work, we also must respond to what pulls people to America… Where we can reunite families, we should. Where we can bring in more foreign-born workers with the skills our economy needs, we should”

— Barack Obama, Statement on U.S. Senate Floor, May 23, 2007


We are foreign-born workers with skills *nudge, nudge*
Turkish is an economist (so is Paul Krugman) *NUDGE, NUDGE*.

Since young, my parents shielded me from politics. They tried their best to discourage us from any form of participation in this matter. Daddy brought up certain issues once in a while so we won't be totally ignorant about it either. Even now, discussing politics, be it local or international doesn't interest me much.

By talking, there can be no change.

Maybe friction with the person who opposes your view.

But Obama is something else. Throughout his campaign, I learned many things regarding America and the world. Although taxes, benefits from the government, subsidiaries etc haven't rubbed into my life yet, someday they will. Right now, I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.

I know it matters alot to certain groups of the society who need to make ends meet or aid for their welfare, education and other necessities to make a living. In my opinion, the rich won't be as affected because they'll always have money. Raise in taxes, they can afford. Private schools tuition fees and college funds, they have. It's always the middle-class that should be concern of the government.

If Obama wins the election on November 4th and becomes President, we will purchase air tickets to US the very next day. I'll be there to pursue my "American" dream in no time ;) And Malaysia? *shrugs*. I am romantically patriotic to my homeland but I think it's more suitable for my retirement plans, decades from now..

I know it's not my fight, but I'd like to see victory

No comments: