Tuesday 23 September 2008

He's Blood

I am the eldest in my family, with a younger brother whom I affectionately nicknamed, Fats. Most of his years in Primary School, he was overloaded with it. After my parents sent him off to Singapore, not only did he excel academically, he shed those extra weights and made a name from running. Cross-country, marathons, charity runs etc. He was always in the top places.

Today I gave a thought about Fats and I realised how much I miss him. In our childhood, I have never loved him. I bullied him, did a lot of nasty things until we were older (before we went abroad for our education). The same time I came to Russia, he left for Singapore. Every summer when I returned for holidays, we only managed to spend a few days together. 7 years have passed. Our relationship is stronger than ever. I am so proud of him.

He ain't heavy, he's my brother :)

Fats was only 12, he attended Assumption High School and his hostel was at Boys' Town Home (next to the school). At this tender age, my brother had to learn to be independent, fend himself from the other boys, cope with his studies and at the same time, follow strict rules imposed. I think Fats should write an autobiography. From carrying a box for donation drive (for Boys' Town Home) to taking part in annual Science Fair (winning 1st/2nd places) for school.

Right now, Fats is studying in the National University of Singapore. He is in his 1st Year of Bio-Medical Engineering course. It was damn flattering when Fats received an honourary letter from Nanyang Technological University, inviting him to study in their institution. Fats rejected their offer though. He also rejected the government's call for citizenship. He was one of the two students who received the offer. My brother is a genius. He has more than enough trophies in his room to cause an avalanche and certificates to start a bushfire (I'm morbid, I know LOL).

Our characters were always quite the opposite. I'm the spoilt child, he's disciplined even with minimal teachings. I'm the big spender, he's thrifty. I'm illuminated, he's modest. I'm loud, he's not. Even when my brother has appeared in headlines on newspapers, TV and such, he keeps a low profile about it. It's funny how different we could be. Yet, we are very much the same. The love we have for our parents, the respect we have for each other, the support we give each other and our humour, is perhaps one of the few traits we share :)

He turned 19 yesterday. Tears well up my eyes to see my brother grow into a fine, young man. I wish him success and smooth sailing in his studies. He makes my folks proud as parents and me as a sister. I remember my friend tagged him as "The ideal teenager". All his life, he has only received compliments especially from those aunties, "Aiyooo.. your son is so clever", "Waahhhh.. how can my son be like your son?" or "Mrs.Tan! Your raising child method is very good!".

Then she gets, "Hehehe your daughter is very naughty" LOL.

4 comments:

miss critical said...

Happy Belated Birthday to your bro ya... this is a very beautiful post on your brother...so sweet ^_^

Anonymous said...

*eyes wide open*
my post, ur post...
my bro is 19 too.

big bully ya u? hehe

i wish him all the best too!

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Thank you both for the kind words.

Oi, Leeds. Your brother and mine were born in the year of the Snake LOL

Gorgeous Ol' Eve Loves Vanilla. You? said...

Hahahaa I was a big bully. Maybe still am.. :P